ARC Review: Bound by Night By Larissa Ione

Bound By Night - Larissa Ione

3.5 stars She was a human among vampires, but she felt far less alone than she had as a human among humans

I have been a HUGE Larissa Ione fan ever since I read the very first Demonica book, Pleasure Unbound. With her unique and rich world building, amazing characters, and incredibly steamy love scenes, she has quickly become one of my favorite PNR authors.

So when I saw that she plans on coming out with a new series, I didn't even think before adding it to my auto-buy list. Now that I've read it, I'm at a little bit of a loss as to how to rate it.

For those that have never read a book by Larissa Ione, I would not suggest starting with this one. I feel like her previous books were much stronger than this one, and you might get the wrong impression of this very talented author.

Bound by Night offers a very unique and different take on your typical vampire fiction. In this world humans have captured vampires for slaves. The vampires go through "reconditioning" and some even have their fangs removed. The non-captured, rebel vampires live in clans.

Nicole Martin's family's company is at the top of this particular hierarchy. Her farther owns the company that sells vampires. Until the day where everything in Nicole's world changes when she is only 8 years old, her family is killed by the very vampires that have served them, and Nicole herself is brutally attacked and barely survives. Now Nicole lives in Paris, and devotes her life for finding a vaccinne against vampirism. She hates vampires with a passion, and her dreams are still haunted by a particular vampire that she has every reason to hate, yet still feels undeniable attraction to. Riker is a member of the renegade vampire MoonBound Clad. Despising all humans, Riker is haunted by nightmares of his own past. When a mission to rescue a captured vampire brings him face to face with the woman whose family he holds responsible for taking everything he loved, all he wants in revenge.

The book had a bit of a slow start for me. I didn't really connect with it until past the 50% mark. I really liked Nicole's character, and Riker was a tortured soul. It took him quite a bit of time to get over his particular biases, where Nicole realized hers pretty early on. I also really enjoyed the secondary characters. Now is it just me or did Myne also remind anyone else of Wrath from the Demonica series? I loved that! I can't wait for his book. I enjoyed the world building and the unique take on vampire lore in this.

There is one thing that Ione knows how to do well, and that is giving us rich world building. Although I did not find this to be as strong as her previous books, this was a good start to what I think will be a great series. I'm also very intrigued by the sneak peak we get into Hunter's book. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy his book. The set up sounds interesting, and I already love the heroine. So while I can't say this was my favorite book by her, it was still a good one.

P.S The sexy blue eyed hottie in my casting? That's the actual cover model from the book. As you can see, I completely agree with that choice :)

ARC courtesy of publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

For more reviews visit: Dirty Girl Romance Book Blog