Breathing His Air - Debra Kayn I have a problem

I see the words motorcycle club, and think hot motorcycle riding hero, and my eager little finger finds that damn one-click buy button on Amazon immediately.

Well in the case of this book: Bad finger! Bad bad finger! Next time you will want to make a book buying decision for me, I’ll just tell you

This was a total dud for me. It felt like a watered down Kristen Ashley novel. I struggled through the whole book, and almost gave up at the half way mark. I was just going to cut my losses and mark it a DNF. But then my inner masochist piped in, “what if it get’s better?” “Just finish it,” it told me.

I don’t think this had one redeeming factor for me. Perhaps readers that haven’t read other books with Motorcycle Clubs might enjoy this.

I found it to be unbelievable and grating. We are supposed to believe that the hero is the leader of a Motorcycle Club that performs no illegal activity whatsoever. Nope! They are simply a club for brotherhood. Rain made his money through solid investments, and used it to open a bar, a garage, and a few other things that bring him money. How is this a Motorcycle Club? Maybe I’ve been ruined by the Motorcycle Man, Undeniable, and the Reaper’s Property but C’MON! Aside from a rivalry with another “bad” Motorcycle Club…that is all they do. Oh the other club is bad because they do illegal activities. Well…allrighty.

Tori runs a mobile coffee shack and offers free love advice along with the coffee to her customers. Seriously? Oh, but then we get this little tidbit

”I give love advice, Rain. I don’t know a thing about love or relationships.”

(sadly this was not the only oxymoron throughout this book)

Tori meets Rain after he rescues her from a rival Motorcycle Gang that is hitting on her. Then Rain, who has sworn off relationships due to being badly burned by a woman not long ago, practically declares Tori his woman the next day. But he does this to protect her.

The things that truly killed this for me?

The dialogue
”I have one last thing to say to you.”
Her eyes darkened with emotion. He peered down at her. “What?”
“You’re mean. “

“A hotel? Get real, and quick, dude.”
“What’s wrong with a hotel?”
“Um, yeah, you’re paying for it. That’s what’s wrong,” she said.
He shrugged. “Get over it”
“You get over it.” She snorted and backed away.

“What the hell?”
“You can’t tell me what to do.” She lfted the clutched rock above her shoulder and let it fly in his direction. “I’m not your woman.”
He dodged the rock. “You are.”
“No, I’m not.” She picked up another stone and threw it toward him. “And no more kissing me.”

Oh, and by the way, this is a conversation that takes place between a 36 year old man and a 24 year old woman.

The overused phrases and endearments
Reading Rain repeatedly referring to Tori as his “woman”, “goof”, or “babe” made me want to chuck my Kindle at the wall.
Then there was also Rain’s penchant for using the phrase “Damn me”.

40% in I started developing a tick every time I read it. It was so grating, I even took the time to look it up and count all the times it was used. (yes, it bothered me THAT much)

1. Rain calling Tori his woman? 74
2.The word 'goof' to describe Tori? 23 (Although at times he switched it up by lovingly referring to her as bozo)
3.Babe? 164!!!
“My woman doesn’t sleep on the couch. In the morning, I’m going to take my woman to buy some pretty clothes that’ll drive me wild and put a smile on her face, and if you go to bed like a good girl, I’ll see about kissing my woman in the morning after I cuddle with her tonight.”

“I’ll be your woman. I mean, I’ll try.” She raised her head. “Okay?” The hardness in his face smoothed away, and he touched his forehead to hers, gazing into her eyes. “You were already my woman, babe, but it’s nice to hear. Real nice.”

“I’m not leaving you alone, babe,” he whispered. “You’re my woman, and I take care of my woman.”

“I’m Rain’s new woman. Don’t you forget it again.” Without letting Crystal continue the absurd conversation, she pivoted on the heel of her boot and leisurely walked back to Rain. She wanted Rain, and she’d fight anyone to have him. “Damn me … ” Rain studied her as he helped her onto his bike. “You mean that, babe?”

I couldn’t find myself caring for any of the characters or the story. It was just too far fetched for me.

There were plently that enjoyed it. I really wished I was one of those. But alas, live and learn. Maybe readers that would be able to see past the things that grated on me will be able to enjoy this. It did have the potential and makings of a great book, but it just fell flat.