A Beautiful Lie - Tara Sivec Boy oh boy it pains me to do this.

Let me preface this review by saying I love Tara Sivec's writing. Her Chocolate Lovers Series is forever in my favorites shelf.

This is a huge reason why I was so eagerly anticipating the release of this book. I love me some Romantic Suspense...and judging by Ms. Sivec's previous work, I just knew I would love this book.

That's a huge reason, I suppose, of why I'm so disappointed with this book. :(

Let me start off with what I liked:
1. The story itself was great! The plot was intense and interesting and the twists kept coming and coming.
2. The Characters Garrett, Le Sigh, oh so sexy Garrett. Loved him! and Parker was the ultimate heroine. All the supporting characters were fantastic as well.
3. The Romance I loved reading the romance finally develop between Garrett and Parker after so many years of unrequited love. The love scenes?? GOOD GAWD! they.were.HOT!

Now what I didn't like:

1. The formatting The story flip flopped A LOT, going from past tense, to present tense and back...it made it very hard to keep up with at times due to the formatting of the paragraphs. There was no font change to indicate a change, there was no paragraph indentation or spacing. This became super frustrating for me after a while, since I often would be into the story, and it would switch to 8 years ago, or a few months ago, or a few days or hours ago, without any warning in the writing whatsoever. An italics font would have helped, maybe spacing in the paragraphs between present and past...or I dunno...anything!

2. The writing GAH! this was so frustrating for me. I'm not used to this from this author. I loved her previous books, they just flowed for me. The writing was fantastic. It unfolded for the reader almost like a movie. I did not get that with this book. I felt like the author was "telling" me the entire story, as opposed to showing me. At times this frustrated me so much, I just had to put the book down, and it took me longer than usual to finish.

3. The transitions ummm..where were they?? There weren't any clear transitions between scenes. Also, the flip flopping between character thoughts; it goes from Parker to Garrett back to Parker to another character like Cole and then back and etc with no clear transition between them. It does this VERY frequently throughout the book. The flow is not smooth and it reads very choppy. I dunno how else to describe it.

I feel the problem might have been that Ms. Sivec's previous books (that I've read) were written in first person, and perhaps the transition to 3rd person wasn't as smooth in this novel. Le Sigh.. Either way, it just didn't work for me.

There were some editing issues with this book, but for something that cost me $3.99, I really can't complain about it too much. I've seen editing errors be worse in many published books of more well known authors with editors and publishers that cost much more. The editing issue here was mostly lack of spacing between two words like Garrettmoved...and a few other instances.

So all in all, it looks as if I'm in the minority once again with my rating of this book among all the great 5 star reviews.

To be fair, I'll give it 3 stars, since my issue wasn't with the story but more with the style of writing.

I will still read the next book in this series, and keep my fingers crossed that perhaps it will be better. (fingers crossed)