If You Stay - Courtney Cole I was itching to get my greedy little paws on this book, ever since I read the book blurb. I mean "tattooed, rock-hard bad-boy with a bad attitude to match"- umm, yes please!!

The first chapter starts off with a bang! I mean, damn, but I don't know many authors that could pull that off, and Courtney Cole did. She drew you into the story with the first few pages.

However, then the story fizzled out for me.

Now before you all get out your pitchforks and torches, let me preface this by saying that this was all due to my own personal preference. The book itself is wonderfully written, the character development is great, and the sex scenes are super steamy!

So what didn't work for me? A number of things really.

1. I am just not a huge fan of the insta-love angle in books. Meet Pax, Pax is a grade A A-hole...SERIOUSLY! But then Pax meets Mila and he wants to be different. This is written in a realistic fashion, but I felt like it should have been a little more stretched out perhaps.

2. The beginning of Mila and Pax's relationship. Some spoilers to follow, so I will just hide the next paragraph fully.

Pax is trying to court Mila. In the process, he offers up his private beach for her to use for her art. While Mila is visiting said beach, she sees Pax receiving a blowjob in all his sexy glory from the drugged out "bar-whore".
Righty-oh.
Mila then runs away, and Pax follows her to a store. They then share a kiss. I don't have an issue with Pax being, uh, a manwhore. I do take issue where Mila is able to share the intemacy of a kiss with him just hours after him getting a BJ from someone else.

The story itself had a good flow. The twist at the end I didn't see coming (when we find out what happened to Pax that's turned him into the a-hole he is today)

What I didn't like is the progression of Mila and Pax's relationship.

He gets pissed at her for asking him about who's texting him, because that means she doesn't trust him. This leads to him driving a boat so recleslly that Mila flies off of the boat and into freezing water (I believe it was around end of Oct or early Nov) He then rescues her, and with a simple "I'm sorry" they end up having sex after.

This was a steamy read, that was well written and had a great story. But for my own reasons, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

I didn't love it, nor did I hate it. So 3 stars from me.