Rush (Breathless, #1) - Maya Banks As much as I hate to do this to a Maya Banks novel; this book was just MEH for me.

It took me a while to get through this, and I usually take no more than 2 days to finish a book. I picked this up, read 5%, put it down for a week, picked it back up and read up to 10%...to again lose interest. Finally picked it back up after over a week and finished it.

There wasn't anything terribly wrong in this book for me. I just couldn't connect to the characters or the story itself. It didn't draw me in and I found myself skimming through many of the pages and even some most of the sex scenes (GASP! the horror)

Many reviewers disliked Gabe. I can't say that I felt the same, but then again, I don't mind me an asshole alpha male. I just can't say that I LOVED him all that much. He was just TOO broody, broken, and jaded for me for most of the book (50% of it)

The saving grace for me was the character of Mia. I absolutely loved her. She was not the typical ingenue virgin. She was strong willed, outspoken, stood up for herself, and in the end she really made Gabe grovel and crawl to get back into her good graces. What I really found refreshing about her were the decisions she made. She did not make stereotypical stupid decisions that you'd want to smack her for. She was reasonable and mature. This was a nice change up from some recent heroines that I have read about.

Gabe does have the grovels of all grovels at the end and does in fact redeem himself...that is if you can find yourself reading past the 50% and then the 75% mark of this book.

Now, pardon my mini rant here...but I just have to say this:

I am SO sick of many erotic novels being compared to 50 Shades lately. I swear, whenever you have any elements of BDSM or a rich hero or a contract of sorts between the couple in the book, it gets related to 50 shades. GAH! This drives me bonkers! Miss Banks has been writing panty melting erotic romance well before E.L. James hit the shelves. I really wouldn't do any author a disservice to compare a mass-read novel to them simply b/c it has similar undertones. All authors deserve for their work to be rated SOLELY on their individual writing and not to be compared

*ducks from any flying projectiles or tomatoes*

Phew!

All right then! Now with that said; I wouldn't compare this book to 50 Shades. Yes there are elements of BDSM and there is a contract between the H and h. But that is where the similarities end.

I will read Jace and Ash's stories (highly anticipating them, in fact). But I doubt I will ever come back to this book. It was an OK read for me, worth 3 stars in my humble opinion.