Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11) - J.R. Ward 3 stars

Weeeeeeeeelllllllll
*paces room*
I'm a little on the fence here. I just didn't LOVE this one
*ducks for flying tomatoes*

I'll start off with saying I have been a devoted BDB fan since the very first book. However, I have been on the fence about it ever since Lover Mine. I wasn't huge on that book, nor the 2 that followed (although I found them to be marginally better, but still not up to par as the first 7 books).

All that considered, I have been eagerly anticipating Blay and Qhuinn's book for-flippin-EVAH! I was so excited that they were getting their own book (a hardcover no less) as opposed to JR Ward's former plans to just give them a novella.

I couldn't wait for this book. I had a countdown for goodness sake! I pre-ordered it when the pre-order button was available on Amazon. When the book finally went live on Amazon, this was me
I read this in less than 2 days. I wanted to love it! But I felt that Ms. Ward did not do my beloved Qhuay justice (considering that their story has been dragging out through so many books).

The few snippets that we get of Blay and Qhuinn were amazing. I could even look past the fact that Blay kept the fact that Saxton and him broke up from Qhuinn until almost the last chapter .

So what didn't I like?

JR Ward has always been fantastic in interweaving several plot lines in her books, it has helped build the scene for future books, and has almost always been done flawlessly. I feel that ever since Lover Mine that has been taking a steady decline. In Lover At Last there were just way too any plot lines, we barely got any time with Blay and Qhuinn. There was Assail and Sola, Xcor and Layla, iAM and Trez, Lessers, the BDB brotherhood...and sadly they took up pretty much 2/3rds of this book. There was so many things going on in this book, that reading it all made me a little

To be quite honest, when I finished this book, I found myself thinking that the amount of time we got with Blay and Qhuinn was sadly equivalent to a novella (even less possibly). The book essentially turned into a way to set up several future books. For the price of a hardcover, and the fact that I bought to finally FINALLY read Blay and Qhuinn's journey to a HEA...I was left grossly disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the other plot lines were interesting. However, the amount of pages spent on them left me confused at some times, and annoyed at others. I am a bit intrigued with Trez, but I'm just not huge on the set up with The Chosen...I have yet to like a book where one of the chosen was the main heroine. I find them to be too tame and boring and well...annoyingly PURE for my tastes

Assail? He just reminded me too much of Rhevenge. Maybe a little more hard-core? I did like Sola, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see what happens there. Considering that their story took up over 1/3rd of this book, I would hope that their book would be the one that would be next.

EDIT: (3.31.13)
Looks like the next book will be Wrath's, so I guess I will be waiting quite a bit more for Assail and Sola's story

The love scenes? While they were not exactly fade-to-black, they were still not as intense or up-to-par to Ward's typical writing. The one thing I was really disappointed over was Qhuinn's first time, when he bottoms for Blay. I felt that since they didn't even get their shit figured out until the last few pages, Qhuinn's first time should have been a little...I don't know...more? Not the equivalent of a wham-bam-thank-you-man. But that is just my humble opinion, some might not feel the same.

Will I read the future books? Probably...
Will I be pre-ordering and still having the same excitement when the next book comes out in the series? Ehhh....probably not.