His Risk to Take (Line of Duty #2) - Tessa Bailey First, let's meet Troy Bennet!

Troy is a NYC Detective with controlling and possessive tendencies and a filthy, dirty-talkin' mouth.
But Prince Charming disappeared as soon as they made it to the bedroom.
He'd tried once or twice in the past to be the guy who whispered sweet nothings into a girl's ear when she came, but he'd never been able to keep up the facade. He'd rather be explaining in very explicit terms how and where he planned to take her next.

After reading and absolutely loving [b:Protecting What's His|17413427|Protecting What's His (Line of Duty, #1)|Tessa Bailey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361771804s/17413427.jpg|24259737], when I saw that Tessa Bailey plans to release a novella a few short months after, I was all over it!

Although I didn't find this to be as good as the first book, which I think is in part due to it being a short novella, I still really enjoyed it.

Troy is a detective, who after a tragic turn during a police raid in Chicago, is transferred to NYC.

Ruby Elliot

is a street-savvy pool hustler.

When the two meet at a bar, sparks fly and Troy is determined to get her beneath him.

Ruby was the sassy, smart-talking heroine that I have come to associate with Miss Bailey's writing. She doesn't take any shit from anyone, and gives Troy a run for his money.

When the bartender turned to make change, she spoke to Troy without looking directly at him. "So, blue eyes. Why don't you stop staring and buy me a drink? I don't want to dehydrate before you work up the nerve"

I loved Troy and his dirty-talking ways.
"You might get away with running that smart mouth to other people. But you won't get away with it here. If you continue to challenge me with every word out of your mouth, I will fuck you repeatedly until you learn to play nice."

This was a case of insta-lust, and given the fact that it's a novella, things progress pretty fast.

When the two of them finally get together...

"I've been ready for you since Saturday morning. It's going to take me hours of fucking that tight little body of yours to satisfy it. I hope you know what you're in for"
She looked up at him, bold and determined. "I'm here, aren't I?"
He growled, equally exhilarated and annoyed by the way she insisted on pushing him back. "I'm going to put you on your knees, Ruby. You're going to hate how much you love it."

Though I liked Troy, since I do love me a yummy possessive hero, I did find him to be a little bit over the top at times. It was nothing that bothered me too much, since I enjoyed the rest of the story. All in all, this was a hot and quick little read with a realistic HEA.

We also get to meet the hero of the next book, Troy's friend and coworker, Daniel, the hostage negotiator and chronic womanizer. (Yes, please!)

** ARC provided by Entangled via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review **